Tenant Packet Question

2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to organize a new tenant packet for when I plan to buy a SFR in a few months so I can hit the ground running. My question is whether or not forms like a pet addendum, rental application, carbon monoxide/smoke detector acknowledgement etc. are state specific - I know the residential lease is subject to certain state regulations and will be asking an attorney about it. But for the rest, can I create generic forms for myself? If so, is it plagiarism to implement statements and items I like from other forms I've seen on Google if its only going to be used by myself and my tenants?

Thanks,

Scott

You are probably referring to some type of violation of copyright law as I don't think the term plagiarism is used outside of academics.   In any case it wouldn't be actionable against your tenants if you did the copy and pasting.

As an academic type legal issue, copy and pasting of private documents from the web could get you in legal trouble.  As a realistic matter do you think anybody with standing is going  to see your lease and recognize the portions you recycled and bring action against you for damages?

@Steve B. 

Thank you for the correction and response. I agree, my guess is no one will likely take action, and I understand it would be a risk albeit a limited one. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here