New to Bigger Pockets Lebanon, Indiana

6 Replies

Hello Everyone, My name Dennis and I am just scratching the surface to the real estate world. I don't have any money but I am hopeful that will change. I want to get into rental properties in my area. I know there is a lot to learn and everything that I read here on BP is very interesting...Like a book you can't put down. I look forward to discovering my mentors and putting together my team. Is a mortgage loan officer a good mentor? Or a realtor? I know a couple, but is there any conflict of interest rules here? Thanks for any responses and I look forward to a long relationship with BP community. 

Hey Dennis!  Welcome!  I'm an active investor in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

It's tough to say that a loan officer would be a BAD mentor, but not likely where I'd start (....unless they were an investor on the side).

I'd start digging on the site here, looking for people in and around your area doing what you're hoping to do, and just start talking with them.

Also, are they any REIA groups in your area? (Real Estate Investing Association)

Let me know if I can help at all!

Thanks Drew, Can anyone show up at their meetings or join? Even if I am just starting out?

Dennis, Welcome to BP.

I am a buy and hold investor and I Stick mainly south of I-70 in Indianapolis.

I would just start asking questions on the forums and networking with local people.  Dig into your local market and start doing research now. That way when you have some cash you can get the deal you want at the price you want. 

Listen to the PODCAST as well. Listening to the PODCAST is how I determine my investment strategy. 

Let me know if you start looking a little south of your area, I might be able to help.

Thanks Adam, Good to hear from someone in this area. I may get back to you. Is buy and hold mean you are a landlord until you can sell? You collect rent from tenants then give them 30 days notice before you sell?

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.