New to real estate investing 20k to invest Chicago market

5 Replies

Hey Guys!! New to the site! 

I'm from Chicago looking to dive into the real estate market... I currently own and live in a foreclosed condo that I got for dirt cheap... I currently pay $380 per month for my mortgage but could easily rent this out for $900-1100 for my area. 

I was thinking about trying to do the same thing with other foreclosed condos in my area... is this is a smart idea or could 20k be spent better else where?

Thanks!

Tom

@Thomas McNicholas - What are your HOA fees?

Because of high HOA fees here and rules and regulations on renting condos I personally avoid them like the plague.

HOA fees do kill the numbers on a large percentage of condos. Many of them wouldn't be worth it for investing if you were given the unit for free. However, if you can find a market where the HOA are manageable and the numbers make sense, then condos can be a lot less headache than SFH. The exterior of the property is 100% managed and maintained. You only have to worry about things going wrong within the unit itself. Plus, they are very cheap to insure. Don't dismiss them outright, but make sure you know the numbers and always read the decs and by laws before you buy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.