Lease to Own option

3 Replies

If any of you can shine some light on it for me, it would be great. I'm looking at a property from a third party. Here is what I was told of. The owner purchase it as a REO, with 90 days no resell. He purchase it with hard money around 10-12%. He some how want's back out of it, so he's selling it with a lease to own contract. I have never made a lease to own purchase before. Do the down payment need to be paid at the lease, or is it a option to be able to purchase at end of 3 month?

This is relatively common in my experience and the terms can vary significantly.  You could negotiate any terms that work for you.  You could get away with paying no money down, but typically they have higher "lease" payments where a certain amount of the monthly goes towards your eventual down payment.  I would prefer a recorded lease option though.

I just recieved the contract for the option. Can you all take a look for me? does the contract fee goes to the total payment?

"No Credits. There is NO credit applied to the purchase price for improvements or

additions to the property. There is NO credit applied to the purchase price for any of the

rental amount paid during the term of the lease. There will be no payment for or

reimbursement issued for any repairs, improvements or additions to the property.

7. Contract Payment.

a. The fee for this Contract is $ 18,000.00, and is for the right to be granted an Option to

Purchase at the end of 1 year or in the time frame allowed herein. This fee is

NON-REFUNDABLE for any reason whatsoever unless the Seller is not able to deliver

marketable title to the Buyer at time of closing. ______________ Lessee’s initials

b. At the Time the Option is exercised, full credit will be given for the amount of this

contract fee payment on the lessees account on the HUD-1 form.

c. This Contract Payment is NOT A SECURITY DEPOSIT. _____________ Lessee’s Initial."

I would read this as the $18,000 option fee, not a credit towards your purchase price.  You're paying $18k for the right to purchase the property in 1 year, regardless of what happens to the market.  It would need to be a pretty good deal for me to agree to that. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.