Appraisal and/or Real Estate License Helpful?

3 Replies

Hello everyone - I am moving to Georgia in a few short weeks and am starting a new career.  I was wondering if any investors out there have found it helpful to have a real estate license and/or appraisal license?  

I am not interested in working for a broker and selling real estate, rather I would use this for the future purchase of investment properties.  

Have any of you found it helpful to hold any type of real property licensure?  Or, do you think it would be useful?

Prachel,

I was never considered getting my RE salesperson license. However, once I came to this site and after managing two properties, I definitely think getting your license would be helpful as an investor since you will be able to control the deal. Meaning you can increase the speed of searching the MLS, touring the property, and the putting in a contract on a property without having to wait for anyone. So yes I think it would really useful depending on how you plan to find investment properties.

Anil

Anil Samuel, Real Estate Agent in MD (#653695)
240-449-4118

Anil, you put into words exactly what I was thinking.  I have a question - can I write my own (cash) deals without having to run them through a broker?

Often the answer is yes but it depends on the broker you work for.  Discuss it up front.  Some brokers are very accommodating.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you