Real Estate License

7 Replies

I understand that you have to be apart of a broker firm after you get your real estate license, but where can you find one that doesnt require you to work for them full time?

Just using it to learn and to get access to MLS. Are the REI clubs an option or only option for firms?

Lastly, what do some think about the real estate license courses online? I am looking at the Long and Foster course.

Thanks,

Dave

I've been thinking about getting my RE license as well and from what I've gathered on BP it depends on the broker you hang your license with. It seems some are investor friendly and some aren't. If I was in your position I'd probably ask around at my local REIA and maybe call some brokers to ask them about my options. Hope this helps!

I was actually thinking about doing that Devan. Thanks for that. I recently started attending my local REIA. I will ask one of them on the next meetup.

@David Taylor just google search a bunch of different brokerages and interview them. When you become a broker, you (can) become an entrepreneur. You have to turn the tables of your thinking. Now get out there and don't post until you've interviewed some brokerages and tell us about your progress.
I did exactly this and stumbled upon a brokerage that only specializes in investment property and requires no fees, desk time, or anything. Real good split on the gross and I am in control of what I do. I also work full time too as an agent while investing. I am sure you can find something like this too. Good luck.

@David Taylor  

Hi David! I took an online course for my CA real estate license. I took it with Kaplan Professional Schools. Excellent course and great materials. Six months to complete.

Thanks Chris and Jasmine I now have some more homework to do. I appreciate the info.

see if you can get a copy of your local realtors association monthly magazine, you will sometimes find advertisements from some smaller brokerages looking for agents, they will be a little more flexible with part time agents. by the way, your full time agents seem to work part time hours.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you