Help a guy starting out.

2 Replies

All right here we go... 

I've been scouring this site for a few days now. It seems like a good enough place to come with my questions. 

I'll start with telling a little about my situation. I'm a single, 30 year old guy living in Tyler, Tx with not much to my name.  Right now I'm scraping by working at a car wash for minimum wage. I save as much as I can which isn't much. I'd really like to pass the real estate sales exam but that is not easy for me as I am severely dyslexic. I'm not going to give up on it though. I'm sure I will be able to pass it eventually but for now I'm just trying to get by. 

Fortunately though, I have recently inherited a house which I believe is gonna be worth around 120k. I'm thinking I'm gonna fix it up a bit and sell it but I have no idea what I'm gonna need to do after that. I know I need to invest it somehow but I'm not sure which is the best direction to go. I need a model to follow so I can secure a steady income for the future. After all I'd really like to have a family and all that stuff someday.

I know my goals are kinda vague at this point but thats partially why I'm hear. I need help deciding what my goals should be. Its all a bit overwhelming at this point. 

Anyway, any advice/guidance would really be appreciated very much!

Thanks so much.

Nick

Updated about 4 years ago

All right here we go... I've been scouring this site for a few days now. It seems like a good enough place to come with my questions. I'll start with telling a little about my situation. I'm a single, 30 year old guy living in Tyler, Tx with not m

You've come to the right place if you're interested in learning about real estate, and there are a lot of helpful people here on the forums.  

Your goal right now should be to adapt your lifestyle to save as much money as you can to invest into the house that you bought.  

Then when you are ready to begin, this should help you save money on the rehab: Save money on rehabs

So I guess I would say your main goal right now should be to save as much  money as you can from your job to invest.

I suggest you read the  Ultimate Free Beginners Guide It may help give you an overview of the business which may help clarify you goals and path forward.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here