Suggestions as to starting as an agent before investing?

4 Replies

Hey everyone. Not only am I new to real estate investing, but the real estate industry as a whole. My question is (hopefully to others who have previously been in my position), is it helpful to get your real estate license and work as an agent for a while before investing? Now of course it would be helpful, but is it worth the time/money to become licensed and work in the field?

I know there must be others who have made or not made this decision and can help guide me in one way or the other. Thanks!

@Account Closed  It depends on what your goals are.  I definitely think it's helpful to have your license and work as an agent, but if you don't want to be an agent, then I wouldn't do it.

Being a real estate agent requires working odd hours, truly wanting to help people achieve their own financial goals, and a lot of work that may never end in payoff.  There are other ways to learn the business.  You could work for a property management company, assist a big investor i your own area, etc.

I do think it's a good idea to get your license, but only you can decide if you also want to work as an agent.

I agree with Dawn, becoming a licensed agent for the purpose of learning the industry is a mistake and can be a costly mistake. Getting a license now or later on to help you as an investor can sometimes be wise. You'd be better off as an unlicensed agents assistant, let the experienced agent teach you. Work for another investor, learn from them.

Welcome to the RE Industry. You don't have to be an agent to get into the business. You can work with an investor friendly agent to help pull properties on MLS and give you valuable data on areas you may decide to work in.

Became an investor in 1955 and became a agent In 1965. Haven't changed my mind since. Being licensed is a good thing. Make your basic activity investing, and the deals you can list that you would have passed on as a investor are now putting money in your pocket. Plus you will run into buyers not interested in what you have but you can collect a commission selling them something else.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.