Getting my Real Estate License before Investing

8 Replies

Hey Guys,

My names Chris Keator in Chandler, AZ. I'm 29 years old, and I have no real estate experience at all. I work full time as a used car salesman and plan to keep my job while I figure all this out.

About a month ago, I decided that Real Estate Investing sounds extremely fun and exciting at the same time. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, and I'm not sure where to start. 

My goal (as of right now) is to get my real estate license and save up as much cash as I can in the next year before I decide to make my first move. I have very little clue as to what that first move will be, but I'm excited to start meeting people and learn as much as I can during this process :)

I would love any spare thought or suggestions if you guys have any.

Thanks so much!

Chris Keator

Great enthusiasm! I don't yet have a license but many of the posters on here recommend or at least encourage getting your Realtor license. When it comes to investing it doesn't hurt - you just need to be up front about your training. After all, as a licensed pro you're held to a higher standard. 

As for learning what to do next stay here on BP and ask questions. Secondly, and just as importantly is to join up with other investors in your area. Attend local REIA meetings. I couldn't find any in my area so I started my own group.

My last bit of advice is to take action on something - other than just reading. Reading only gets you so far. Get out there, mail some letters or postcards, allow your self to do it wrong and get over it. Its a learning experience. If you're not learning and having fun doing it perhaps its not the right path for you. 

Getting RE license will certainly give you an edge as an investor.  I've heard that Keller Williams realty is known for very good training and willingness to work with investors.  That would probably be a good place to start.

@Chris Keator

Welcome to BP. 

You have to come to the right place. 

Having a realtor license does assist over non broker investors. You have mls access and a lot more inside information than general public. 

It will cost you about $2,000 a year, however you could easily re coup this money. 

Good luck.

You will have to pay local and national dues, keep that in mind. They will add up quick for simple MLS access.

Set small goals for yourself and try to stick to them. BP is a great resource, but don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.

One of the greatest things about REI is the many different ways of making (or losing!) a buck. Determine what your goal is -quitting job, building retirement portfolio, etc.- and you can find a niche in REI that will accomplish those goals.

Good luck!

Mark Gallagher, Real Estate Agent in New Jersey (#1221341) and Pennsylvania (#RS314542)
215-490-4851

I just started my studying for my CA REA course with absolutely NO real estate experience but with a passion that has always been festering just below the surface. Currently in talks with an investor to leave my comfy/paycheck steady law enforcement job and go to work for him FT and focus solely on property acquisition.

Two tips I can suggest from my research and forum posts is:

#1 Partnering with an investor friendly agency/broker. Keep in mind the training and support you will be seeking for yourself when you go interview them. Make sure that relationship is beneficial both ways.

#2 Start networking; especially with the goals of positive connections and creating a trustworthy and honest reputation.

Congratulations on your new endeavor! What a wild and amazing ride that lies before you.

@Chris Keator  The first thing I did when I moved to Phoenix a few months back was to get my license.  It allows you to learn real estate and do some great networking, but it also gives you a different perspective that I believe those without a license don't get.  

And stick around BP to absorb the investing side.  The podcasts are a great way to get started.  

Let me know if I can help.  

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the kind words :)

Definitely a great way to start! Good luck!

Gabriel

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.