Getting started at a young age

9 Replies

Hey fellow Bigger Pockets members,

I am in my early twenties, newly married, and extremely eager to tear into real estate. I am interested in investing, and building up my assets portfolio, although I have no idea how to go about doing so. 

Does anyone have any advice, recommended books or articles, or tips for how to get started at a young age (with limited finances) as well as general base knowledge building?

Thank you all for the time you are investing in my future. 

- Kyle

Awesome! Will do, Ned. Thanks for the help!

@Kyle Rushing  

Welcome to the site. There is a load of information on here. Like @Ned Carey  said, the podcasts are great. Listen to them on the way to work, mowing the yard, etc. That said you could spend all day reading about investing and never make a dime. Just go out and talk to people in your area. Talk to some agents, banks, other investors, and get the ball rolling even if you don't have much cash. Start with people on the site. Set up your keyword alerts for "Seattle" and connect with real people in your area. If you need help with this check out

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/08/27/keyword-alerts-ultimate-guide/

Hope this helps. Good luck.

@Kyle Rushing hi kyle i am in similar situation as you - owner occupying (FHA 3.5% down) and forming partnerships to buy the neighboring buildings in retrospect was a wonderful decision, i cash flow on all buildings now.

Originally posted by @Zach Schwarzmiller:

@Kyle Rushing hi kyle i am in similar situation as you - owner occupying (FHA 3.5% down) and forming partnerships to buy the neighboring buildings in retrospect was a wonderful decision, i cash flow on all buildings now.

owner occupying a multi-family that is (you can 3.5% FHA loan into up to 4 units, 5+ is commercial).

@Kyle Rushing  

Welcome to the site. There's a lot of great info here. Check out Brandon Turner's blog. I think it is quite applicable to you: Real Estate in Your Twenties

You can also check out the "Learn" tab up top along the blue border of this site. Much success to you and see you around the forums.

Welcome Kyle! I just started out this year, and I'm in my early 20's as well. I would say, first off, try to find which real estate niche suites you the best personally. There are many great options

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatb...

That link is definately a good start. Good luck to you!

Hey Kyle! I'm in the same boat as you. I've listened to every podcast sometimes more than twice. The only hard part is doing your first deal which I myself have not done yet. I know you learn a lot from your first deal but I like to browse around BP and read more books before I jump head first into rei. I'm 23 and a full time auto mechanic.

Hey Kyle! I'm 20 working as a full time mechanic! And I found that the podcast and the email notifications are very helpful! I'm looking at making my first investment within the next two years! I found what is helpful in any subject of life is to set goals and time lines!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here