No Credit History

3 Replies

I have had a credit card for about 3 weeks.

Other than that, I have no history of borrowing or making monthly payments. (I bought all my cars in cash, I never rented, and never even had a cell phone bill.)

I talked to my credit union that I have been using since I was 18 (I'm 21 now) and I tried to get pre-approved for a mortgage. The lady told me that it is not possible for me to get a home loan because of my lack of credit history. She told me to use my credit card and try again in 6 months.. I read online it can take 12 months to build enough credit history.

Am I stuck for now? I was hoping I could get something started earlier.

Do you have a stable job history?  Do you have a job?  :)  Will your income support a mortgage payment?

Go to LendingTree.com or QuickenLoans.com or both

Enter your information. It will provide you with a list of lenders who you qualify for. You should qualify for an FHA insured first time homebuyer mortgage. However, be aware there will be a residency requirement.

Buy everything on credit card. Don't worry, I hate owing money (other than on houses) but I deal with my angst by paying it off weekly. Showing you use credit, even small amounts, and that you pay it off in full regularly will go a long way.

If you're living at home, what about putting one of the utility accounts in your name.

@Kyle R. I have opened up 3 credit cards in the last year and half just to build my credit. I was in a similar situation you were in because I purchased schooling and car with cash and lived at home or with relatives till I moved out and purchased my current residence. I had very little credit at the time when I purchased. Literally 2 cc's. Just for safety net reasons alone I have since establish more credit. As long as you are responsible more credit should help you. If it take 6months-1year no worries you are way younger then 98% of the people investing. My advice, don't feel rushed you have plenty of time. With that being said keep moving forward, REI is a process. Any obstacle becomes the path for those that succeed. Best of luck! Stay active on BP, it will produce amazing returns.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.