New to Bigger Pockets| New to investing

7 Replies

Hello everyone! My name is Stephen Kiser, I am a 23 year old from Concord North Carolina (Town just north of Charlotte) My father is a licensed general contractor and I am wanting to get into investing but I have no job at the moment so I have just been trying to learn as much as i possibly can while looking for work. I guess my question is "is it possible to get started without a job"? I am ready to learn and willing to do whatever it takes! Thanks for all the help! 

@Stephen Kiser Welcome to BP. It is possible to get started without a job. If you have some savings even better. Those savings can be used for marketing. Some marketing is necessary and cheap like buying business cards and attending REIA meetings. Most people who start out look to wholesaling if they are short on funds. You have a nice "arrow in the quiver" with your dad as a GC since many new investors have lots of trouble estimating rehab costs. Good luck.

Medium wbh com color blkbkgrnd  1 Jared Rogers, WeBuyHouses | [email protected] | 336‑422‑6537 | http://www.webuyhouses.com/nc/winston_salem

@Jared Rogers Thanks for the reply! Im going to look into whole selling! Thanks

@Stephen Kiser Wholesaling is a good way to start. You can get buyers (those looking to do flips) attending REIA meetings and marketing can be cheap upfront - bandit signs, driving for dollars (driving target areas and looking for distressed houses and then sending them yellow letters), classified ads, etc. Keep in mind that some wholesalers are spending well over $1,000/month some close to $10,000/month in direct marketing campaigns. Despite what is portrayed on many of the HGTV shows and ads for seminars, the real estate business is lots of hard work but also very rewarding. BP has a lot of resources to get you started so be sure to check out the resource section of the site as well.

Medium wbh com color blkbkgrnd  1 Jared Rogers, WeBuyHouses | [email protected] | 336‑422‑6537 | http://www.webuyhouses.com/nc/winston_salem

@Stephen Kiser , there is also a local BP meetup in Charlotte that currently meets every 2 months. The next meet up is scheduled for November. We would love to see you there. Lot's of people that will talk for hours about REI just given the opportunity.

awesome! Thanks everyone for the information! 

Originally posted by @Stephen Kiser :

Hello everyone! My name is Stephen Kiser, I am a 23 year old from Concord North Carolina (Town just north of Charlotte) My father is a licensed general contractor and I am wanting to get into investing but I have no job at the moment so I have just been trying to learn as much as i possibly can while looking for work. I guess my question is "is it possible to get started without a job"? I am ready to learn and willing to do whatever it takes! Thanks for all the help! 

Hi Stephen, 

Hope you are still pursuing WS in Charlotte. I'm looking at a property in Charlotte and I'm in need of a GC for a rehab estimate.  Does your father provide any rehab estimates?  I'd like to see if we can all work together on a deal. 

Erin

@Erin Elam  Yes! If you would like I can have him give you a call or I can give you his number and you can call him at your convenience. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you