how to start with little to no money?

4 Replies

I'm sure this topic has been gone over a lot but I couldn't find any, so how did some of you or how would you get into buying properties with not having a lot saved up? I have been pre-approved for 70k loan with covering the 20% down payment from relatives just not sure what the best way to get the first property bought, the other option I thought of was trying to get a small personal loan to buy a cheaper rental house ( around  15k) and start from that but not sure if that would work or be a bad idea any help would be appreciated 

@Chris Casper  

I'm wondering why you wouldn't try to get qualified for an FHA owner occupied loan with only 3.5% down? Then you could use some of the money from relatives for some renovations. I would personally target a duplex or triplex and live in one side, while renting out the other (house hacking). Then you could save some money for a down payment on another property. After a year, you could refi the current property into a non-FHA loan and get another low down payment FHA loan on another property.

what about if I currently have a house that i live in anyway to get around a duplex or triplex if i dont live in one unit as my main residence and still get to use the low down payment?

@Chris Casper  

Not sure exactly what you are asking but there is not a way "around" the requirement for owner-occupancy.  You either live in one of the units (and qualify for the low downpayment) or you don't (and put down closer to 20%).  

Generally, no. The FHA 3.5% down payment is only for owner occupied properties. If you currently have a house you should be able to purchase a duplex, tri or quad on the FHA so long as you intent to move in, you will then either have to sell or rent out your other house.

I agree with @Hattie Dizmond  house hacking is the way to go when you are just starting out.  If you are looking at a $150k quad, then your DP is only $5250, any should get enough from renting out the other units to cover the mortgage and then some.  Not to mention that could be one of the cheapest educations in real estate possible.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.