Realtor

7 Replies

Hi all, I'm in the process of acquiring my Colorado broker associate license. Will it help or hurt my venturing into the investing aspect of the business? Thanks for your responses in advance.

The only part i believe it hurts is if you are wholesaling other than that. I believe it to be highly beneficial to perform real estate investing activities. 

Thank you for your insight Jonathan. I was planning to wholesale as well. In what way will it hurt me? Do you think if thats the case, I could have my wife do that aspect of it without problems?

@Dwayne Wright  not familiar with your local real estate laws but it is my understanding you can be a realtor and wholesale deals.  Brokers may not want you to wholesale or will be against it but it is not illegal although it may be perceived to be. 

Thanks Shawn...I will research the laws in my area and see what can be done.

This is questions I had as well. I am planning to obtain a realtor license. Will it be OK to send out mailers to motivated sellers (like absentee owners) and then wholesale it? I guess being a realtor, I could just list it MLS and then get a commission by selling it. Not sure if this makes sense. Does anybody know a realtor who does wholesaling?

Find an investor agent company where the broker makes most of their money with investments. The broker if they lose their license some of them do not care and will let newbie agents try all of this type stuff.

Regular brokerages do not want this type of business. They are in it for careers and it is too risky for their E & O insurance.

@Joel Owens  , thanks for your response. Why would the broker lose their license?

For a realtor, what type of wholesaling is good? Double closing OR assignment contract?

Are there any other types of real estate investments (fix and flip, rent to own, note brokering) where having a realtor license would be a negative thing? I know that for short sales, it is good to have a license but I don't plan on doing short sales...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here