To stay in my career or become a real estate agent

8 Replies

I am currently a warehouse supervisor. I have been doing it for a coupe of years after graduating from college and they pay is okay. Currently I have another opportunity to switch companies and receive a $14K increase on my salary. The pay is where I would like to be but it is not exactly the career I would like to do long term.

I have been considering becoming a real estate agent ( taking the online courses at the moment). I think this will get me into the field and provide me the experience and skill set needed to become a successful real estate investor long term. I believe I have two options, option 1: keep my current job and transition into becoming a real estate agent within the next year or option 2: switch companies to make more money (also warehouse supervisor position), save the extra money and learn the real estate investment business as I go? 

*I live in Lancaster, PA

Hi @Kujtim Beganaj  

Welcome to BP!!

Why can't you do a mix of 1 and 2?

Switch companies and transition into becoming a RE agent AND save extra money AND learn the RE investment business?

Sharad

Thanks @Sharad M.  For the welcome and response!

I'm not sure if jumping jobs too quickly will be helpful on my resume and the longevity of my positions help. I would prefer something where I maintain my job history. My concern is  if I switch jobs and then transition into becoming a real estate agent will only hurt my job history if i want to get back to a regular job.

I'm at a crossroad where I know where I want to get to, I just don't know what which route to take. 

Welcome to Biggerpocket!

I understand where you are coming from. Being a Navy wife, my resume is spotty at best. On the other hand the diversity of information has been beyond beneficial. We are buy and hold investors. So we live off my husbands and use mine to invest. I also just had to make the decision you did. I switched from a low key not want I wanted to do position to a much more intense more money in my field position. While the transition is never fun, I don't regret it. It also give me a lot more money to play in my love. 

Definitly check out the blogs, podcast and forums. Another great source of information is individual blogs found in peoples signatures. Many of us including myself write about our niche. The only thing we all agree about is investing in Real Estate. Beyond that there are many different style and types of investing. My blog/website is about long distance self management, landlording, investing in class A investments, investing in a transient lifestyle, etc.

Good Luck

Look forward to seeing you around!

@Kujtim Beganaj  I agree with @Sharad M.. You can do both, take the pay increase and learn the ins and outs of being a realtor.   I recommend you do your due diligence first, get familiar with what it takes to succeed as a realtor.  The first 6months-1 year can be tough so I suggest you use this entry time to learn the biz and keep your income by not quitting your job.  I am in a similar situation myself, I have a job that pays extremely well but it is not my long term career.  I work with a local REI agent, he give me some of his leads/clients and any sales I make I split with him.  It works out well because our clients are investors (most of which have jobs as well 9-5) so I show properties on weekends and evenings.  

@Kujtim Beganaj   I agree with @Sharad M.  . I am a full-time field supervisor and I am taking both the state and national RE exam Thursday morning. I have no intention on leaving my W-2 job (Need bank financing) for another 3+ years. Unless you have a nice amount of reserves, you'll become 1099 and it would take 2 more years to get financed. I guess it would depend on what your goals are though. 

@Kujtim Beganaj

Welcome to BP neighbor. I live out near New Holland area.

I am in a similar situation. I was laid off from my corporate sales job recently and am thinking of getting licensed instead of going back to corporate America. If you have enough money saved up to make the jump and it is what you really want then go for it.

Personally I would do what others are saying. Keep your job while learning this business. There are many advantages to having your license that you can use to invest. There are great podcasts and the bp book on flipping that can back up having your license meanwhile keeping your income. Best of luck!

thank you Elizabeth Colegrove and @brandon. They are very honest and it has absolutely blown my mind with all the detailed info and success stories. I just can't stop listening to them! Another thing I have been thinking about is to finish my real estate license but not become a realtor. This way I would still have access to the MLS to find great deals to invest in. This is why I am leaning towards working at the new company with a higher income. The higher income will provide me more capital to use to invest. Not really sure if I want to flip a house first or make an investment property first.

Sure will keep everyone updated on what I will do! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here