Brand new, where to start?

4 Replies

Hello guys, this is my first post here. My name is Gustavo Martinez, i start real estate school Tuesday and really can't wait! I am 24 years old and have a full time job as a floor manager in a huge food distributing company (dislike it). My goals are to get my certifications, learn property management and then start investing in real estate. It is a bit overwhelming but i am so excited to start up and i want to learn as much as i can as fast as i can! Any tips to move forward as fast as possible? I am well aware that this post has been posted probably hundreds of times, still learning how to use the blog so i am sorry about that. Thanks for your time!

Hi Gustavo!

Welcome to BP and congratulations on making the decision to get started with real estate! Do a research on your local Property Management Organizations that offer certifications and choose the best one. Try to network as much as possible online (through websites like Bigger Pockets) and in-person: being a member of real estate investment groups and meeting local professionals (Meetup.com is really good for that).

Start off reading articles on BP related to anything you are interested in - there's so much info there and people you can ask questions and get professional answers to.

Here are some websites you might find useful:

http://www.mynationalreia.com/clubportal/795files/...

http://www.propertymanager.com/2014/07/boost-your-...

http://www.zillow.com/blog/pro/how-to-start-a-prop...

Good luck with everything!

Evelyn

You can take classes and read about property management, but it is one of those fields that can't possible all be learned via traditional education. If possible, you may see if any local property management companies would be willing to take you on part time. Getting that real world experience will be huge. Some of the property management certifications actually have a portfolio experience component (IREM.org). I personally love the industry and have managed several different property management offices. If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out to me. 

Thank you. 

wow, i was not expecting such a quick and informative response... thank you all so much for the info and taking time off your busy schedules to reply. I feel a bit more   confident now!                                                                                                                                                                                

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you