Lawrence,MA learning the ropes and my 1st REI meeting!

3 Replies

Hey BP!! 

So I went to my first meet up with black diamond group and it was very informative if not a little overwhelming, but I made it through with meeting some nice people that do a lot of different things. A lot of wholesalers it seems but a nice mix and very friendly. I left there with a little more knowledge then when I went in so I call that a successful night. On top of that  I have been reading and listening to podcast and reading some more. I am a very hands on person and well I get the concepts and everything very well I am anxious to get some hands on experience. I am hoping to get together with a local investor in the Lawrence, MA area and surrounding and help out and learn. I do not come empty handed though! I have very good people skills, coach-able and a burning desire to learn this business.  I may be able to also partner depending on the situation. If there is anyone Local to my area of Lawrence, MA that would like to pass on some hands on knowledge and have someone that is hardworking and willing to use whatever skills I have to contribute. Please contact me. I hope to hear from someone. Have a great week!

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

This is an awesome place to meet fellow investors . We are buy and hold investors and have learned alot by just exploring different markets. We got started a 23 and 25 buy buying a personal property and turning into rentals when my husband was transferred. We also worked hard at our careers using that income to too. We would live off of one of our salary and invest the other one!

Another great place is to look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog or website in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

@Samuel Faulkner  , I'm sorry you were overwhelmed at your first Black Diamond.  Please don't stop attending, and be sure to attend other groups in the area.  

We plan our topics to appeal to investors who have already made it past the first deal or two.  The reason is twofold:  

1. There are lots of groups in the area that design their topics to appeal to beginning investors, in fact pretty much every REIA does exactly that. So when we started Black Diamond, we wanted to attract investors who have experience.

2.  If we appeal to investors who have done a deal or two, we attract those investors.  That gives you a room full of experienced people to network with, as opposed to a room full of beginners.  A room full of newbies gives you the warm fuzzies, but won't help you find someone you can learn from.  And we still have plenty of beginners attend, so there are many there in the same boat as you.

The reason the room was full of wholesalers is that the topic was about wholesaling.  When the topic is about rehabbing, the room fills up with rehabbers.  When it's about landlording, the room fills up with landlords.  So the people you meet change every time.  

Hope this makes you feel a little better, keep attending Black Diamond and other groups.  the other groups closest to you would be NewEnglandREIA.com in Chelmsford, and MassRealEstate.net which I think is in Peabody or the Saugus area.  @Mike Hurney runs that group, and while the dates sometimes conflict with Black Diamond, they don't always, plus he has multiple meetings.  

Good luck and don't give up.

Thanks for the responses!. No need to apologize Ann. I had a great time and like I said left with more knowledge then when I went in and that is a good thing! I will definitely be attending more and meeting new people and having a good time doing it. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.