Ghost ads/Cash buyers list

8 Replies

I am just getting in the game and the first thing I though to do was to hopefully get some cash buyers so I put up a ghost ad and I have gotten hits on it within the first day.  Of course I don't have a property and people have asked for it.  What should I text/email back to them?  

Originally posted by @Frank Mancuso :

I am just getting in the game and the first thing I though to do was to hopefully get some cash buyers so I put up a ghost ad and I have gotten hits on it within the first day.  Of course I don't have a property and people have asked for it.  What should I text/email back to them?  

That you're sorry for deceiving them and wasting their time and you hope to actually have a property the next time you advertise one. 

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :
Originally posted by @Frank Mancuso:

That you're sorry for deceiving them and wasting their time and you hope to actually have a property the next time you advertise one. 

So don't do ghost ads?

So don't do ghost ads?

I just think there's better ways to accomplish what you are trying to do that don't involve trickery. I know for me personally I would not work with someone if I found out that they advertised a property and got me to call them on it (and likely spend time researching it or at least the area before I called), only to find out that they never even had a property to begin with. Most serious investors will recognize this for what it is - a huge waste of everyone's time. 

There are a ton of posts already on BP about how to build a buyers list, so I won't rehash all of those. But one easy thing you could do is to simply attend one of your local REIA meetings. Those are usually full of people who buy real estate and it would give you the opportunity to meet them face-to-face and begin to develope personal contacts, credibility, and relationships. All of which are important in this line of business.

Just my two cents. 

Try partnering with a wholesaler or flipper in your area and then market for REAL deals & properties.  Ghosting will net newbie potentials....but just like many you'll find at REIAs or even here...it will be many, many years before they ever do a deal so you're mostly wasting your time.  Network with someone you can partner with that's the real way to get started in real estate investing with no money down.

Hello Frank -

there is nothing wrong in putting up a general ad stating that you are an investor in (state the area) and that you come across properties all the time. Have them call you for more information. When they call, I ask 4 key questions:

• Which area do they want to invest in?
  • What type of property (single, multi)?
  • How much do they want to spend?
  • Are they ready to buy now?

That way you qualify them over the phone, get their email and phone number, and ask them if they can be added to your mailing list for future deals. That is all. :)

Hope this helps.

Medium logo on whiteLaura Alamery MBA, Laura Alamery | [email protected] | 3143019594 | https://www.lauraalamery.com/

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :

Kyle, I wouldn't suggest listening to Frank. It's great he posted his opinion, but unfortunately it's a very poor one. If you're just starting, posting ghost ads is an excellent way to find individuals that (should) have cash readily available to purchase real estate. I've done it before, and each interaction was very worthwhile for both the cash buyer and myself in the near future thereafter. While you probably shouldn't post the ads if you have no real intent of putting in the work afterwards of finding real properties to provide to them, it's still a great strategy, nonetheless. I'm glad you received some responses. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Having a sulky attitude will prove much more disadvantageous.

Updated over 1 year ago

Frank, I wouldn't suggest listening to Kyle. ** Evidently misconstrued your names in my original post. Whoops.

@Andy Luick You mentioned partnering with a wholesaler and then market for real deals & properties. How do you go about doing that? A lot of wholesalers won't work with other wholesalers. Thanks

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you