New to Wholesaling

3 Replies

Hi I'm Chester

I am new to wholesaling I haven't even sent out my first yl yet. I have a list of about 300 out of state absentee owners with 75-95% equity and the last sale date is like 10 years ago or older. I have a budget of $200 a month maybe $4oo for marketing. I am trying to wholesale houses in Atlanta. I have about two legal pads of yellow letters written and 200 stamped envelopes. I was thinking about doing ads on craigslist but since I am a math teacher I prefer the law of averages presented in direct mail. I guess my question is after I mail out the first round then what? I can realistically only touch the people on my list once a month. I think I pretty much have step one done I think i need some clarification on step two what ever that may be. What I would like is some analysis on my prep work so far and some direction on where to go next.

Hello Chester -

welcome to wholesaling! :)

These are some of my thoughts/suggestions:

• First of all, the quality of the list is important for the best response rate. If you don't get at least 5% phone calls from your mailing, you need to revisit the source;
  • I am more inclined to printed letters and envelopes with a good tag line to get people to open the envelope - I am not much for yellow letters;
  • To increase your success rate, after you do the mailing, try to get as many phone numbers as possible for the people you mailed to - you can try to use whitepages.com, 411.com or intelius (fee based) - you might also want to visit personally a few of these properties, and talk to neighbors, to find out more about the owner.

To me direct marketing is a 3 step process - good list first, tweak the mailing until you get 5% or better response rate, follow up as many as possible (via phone or personal visit.)

Good luck! :)

I got my list from listsource.com so it should be good and I can't really visit the property because my farm area is two hours away however after I have made contact with a potential seller then I would check out the property.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.