4Plex, need a little help understanding what im doing

12 Replies

Greetings everyone

After watching the BiggerPockets Free Webinar: How to Find, Analyze, and Finance an Incredible Rental Property Deal and reading

The Ultimate Due Diligence Guide for Buy & Hold Properties

by Matt Faircloth

I thought it would be a great excise to find a home im interested in and see if i can actually analyze a deal and complete the sale if the numbers worked.

OK so i found a 4plex on realtor.com in Michigan all units undated since 2010, 2444SQ ft

4 1bd/1bath

List Price is 324000

Rents for 4 units is $2500

Taxes $3100
Insurance $ 2000
Gas $2160 yearly
Eletric $720 yearly
Water$1520 yearly
Sewer line insurce $88

Land License $300

When i asked for copies of other  items the realtor told me the property has been miss mangaed the above was the only thing he could get on the property

$2500 Gross Rent

-$824 (taxes, insurance, and everything else listed above)

-$1,231 (P&I mortgage payment, assuming 25% down)

-$250 (vacancy)

-$250 (property management)

= -$55 / month

since the total rent is $2500 month, I would dare to say this is a lower income area,,,in that type of area you should expect great cash flow,  at that price you don't even get close to good numbers

Price 324,000

Rents 2,500?

Don't!

Now if it was:

Price 32,400

Rents 2,500

Dawn would own it... :-)

greetings everyone 

I would like to first say that's everyone for their input .

@Patrick Britton   I honestly would like to know is there an easy formula for getting the cap rate ? In short sir no I don't know the cap rate but I'll do some research to get all required I for this exceriese

@Scott S.    I'll be apply a va loan to this  with 3 percent down which isn't required  I'm sorry I should've included this before   I'll live in one unit so I'll self manage but I do understand  I'll need to account my time fore something

@Andy Collins   this  area is in demand but. These numbers on this property  just are horrible. However I would like to make an offer  , Iill understand if  it doesn't get taken but I just want to take some type of action . 

But I seriously want to make this into a deal  any suggestions. For what my next move should be ?

I forgot to mention my realtor told me the rent for this property are below market , the owner are old and justo he rents for this area for a 1 bed rm are 700 - 1000 depending on conditions of the updates on a property

I would suggest analyzing a bunch of deals - anything you can get some general numbers on. The more of this you do the more obvious it will be to you when you come across one that is actually worth pursuing. I don't know your area, but on the face of it, it sounds like this one is pretty overpriced. The fact that you will be owner occupying does make a difference, but you want a property that will still be a good investment for you when you decide to move out. Also- you would be much better off with a place that has separate utilities (paid by the tenants) for the different units, especially with those lovely Michigan winters!

Medium team zen logo vJean Bolger, 33 Zen Lane | http://www.solidrealestateadvice.com

what city is this in? 1bd for $1000?  That seems high in the Detroit area.

I just looked at a 4 unit 1 bed 1 bath in Wyandotte prime area and they were getting 550 a month rent per door.  1k seems like a lot 

is this the royal oak 4 plex at Lincoln/ Wyandotte?

This property is in royal oak mi

What would make this deal work ,

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you