Can anyone share how you make your first million in Real Estate?

27 Replies

Originally posted by @Brian P. :

Well this deal just keep getting bigger and more complicated but the future reward kept getting bigger too. Long story short is when the dust settled after 15 months  I walked away with a check from escrow of $1.5 million. The fun part was inviting the original 5 partners and their wives out for a night on the town.  At the end of the evening they were asking what was I celebrating and I said that the deal they bailed out on was finally over, they snickered, suggested I must be glad and hoped I hadn't lost to much. I then I put a copy of the check on the table with the notation that each of the original investors would have been given a check for $ 250,000 had they had stayed. And at that  time $15k a year was a very very good job. 

You sound like a prince of a guy.

Originally posted by Sam & Heather Jones:

@Brian P.   The next time you have a crazy idea and are looking for investors, you can have my 25k :P

@Brian P.  Take my 25k as well.  Would love to get 250k in return.

Richard C

Yes I am, but not in your snide interpretation. As I said I wore 3 hats and workplace gossip was killing me there as a source of business after they bailed out, and when they bailed I gave them their money back plus interest, and I gave it with a smile and no hard feelings.  

They got a great night out on the town for free, and I started getting everybody wanting to do business with me. Including the original 5 investors. That night out was a great sales pitch. 

This was a job where my fellow workers had desirable influences all over town and many inside contacts and I didn't need any unearned negative comments being spread about me. That night out had the original 5 telling everyone they met about the deal they lost out on instead of them saying I was knee deep in a pile of manure and probably was going to lose my shirt any day now and how smart they were to bail out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here