What are some jobs (w2 or 1099) that will help me in my rei career?

6 Replies

I am considering a second job to help fund my new re wholesaling business. My long term rei goal in short is to own rentals of course. That being said, what are some jobs that i could consider that will actually be beneficial to my immediate and long term rei goals (so I can earn and learn simultaneously). Of course real estate agent is one but what are some others?

I am right outside of Richmond in case any of you want to connect.

You shouldn't really need a second job to fund your wholesaling, unless you need money for your bandit's & yellow letters.

Really deponds on your over all goals.  If you want to do fix-n-flip long term, then working with a contractor or handy-man could be educational.  If you want to do bun-n-hold long term, then working for a property manager could add to your education.  

I have never worked in any of the RE trades other than owning rental properties.  I know that I can't do it all, so I get those on my team that can.  I don't know every aspect of the law, so I hire a good lawyer, I don't know all the accounting & tax rules, so I hire a good accountant etc.  I try my best to gain a solid understanding in each subject, but I don't have the time or reserve mental capactiy to learn everything about everything.

Hi @Maurice Bey  

If you get your license and go to work for a property manager who is also an active investor (especially distressed property), you will learn a great deal about acquisition, rehab, leasing, management, maintenance, and liquidation.

I don't think you'll see all of that if you just go into the typical RE sales job.

Best of luck with your new business.


@Nate Garrett  

Completely agree. A company who either a) works with a multitude of other investors on a daily basis or more preferably b) someone who invests themselves via brokerage, consulting, or property management is an excellent place to start.

I work in property tax consulting so I am always working with those who own commercial property. I am attaining my brokerage license in the next month so that I am legally permitted to assist with leasing, management, or new brokerage opportunities.

Maybe something on the appraiser or BPO side? An appraiser's helper or property clean-up person for the brokers that do BPOs for REO properties. Call appraisers who may need someone to go out and take pictures or whatever. Call the listing agent/agency that has a lot of HUD or REO listings and see if they need help!

Housing Inspector? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here