My next book to read is....

19 Replies

Hey Fellow BP'er's.... So I am almost done with Millionaire Real Estate investor and have four books to choose from to read next.... Would love some opinions on which one should be next....

1) Building Wealth one house at a time

2) The ABC's of Real Estate

3) BP's Book on No Money down

4) J Scott's Book on estimating Rehab Costs...

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving :)

Kevin Carbon

Oh, and just a little background ... I'm a newbie.... Currently driving for dollars for a flipper learning to find a deals to wholesale... I also plan on house hacking my first multi-family the first quarter of the year.

@Kevin Carbon  

Want to be a wholesaler?  Read J Scott's book and practice the contents.

Bring real ARVs to your buyers, or potential buyers, and you'll be a popular wholesaler in no time.

I vote for "building wealth" and then J Scott... :) happy reading!

I enjoyed John Schaub's Building Weath one house at a time. Easy read and very informative . It's not a book specifically geared towards wholesaling though. It covers a wide range of real estate topics with strait forward advice.  A great newbie book which has made it onto my "favorites" bookshelf. Good luck ! 

Well, I'm still going to suggest you read and understand your state's text book for study by real estate agents, I'm betting that none of those books teach "real estate" which is the foundation of what you expect to deal in. :)

I'm knee deep into J Scott's book.

@Kevin Carbon  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 90 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

I'd suggest reading the first two books first then Brandon's then j's book.  The first two are strategic and the last two are more specific in how to do something!  

I've only read numbers 3 and 4 so maybe I am biased. Both are great for expanding your mind to realize the possible and necessary steps involved in a deal. Happy reading!

Tyrone

@Kevin Carbon  

I'm partial to the advice that @Bill Gulley  have offered. 

Find time daily to acquire real estate knowledge as you are starting out. 

Listen to podcasts while driving for dollars. 

Network and meet lots of informed people from whom to learn. 

Good luck,

Jonathan

All great books! I second Bill's suggestion of reading the Wa state real estate practices handbook.... I read it several years ago and still use it. Good luck!

I liked both of J's books, but actually got more value out of the full soup-to-nuts book. I've used the estimating rehab expenses as more of a guide/hand-book when evaluating deals. I really liked Building Wealth as a way to build some fundamental knowledge on why RE is such a great vehicle for, well, building wealth.

Another book you may find of use (although slightly similar to J's books) is the FLIP book put out by the same guys who did the Millionaire RE Investor.  Be sure to move away from books about "theory" to specifics as you get more knowledgeable/comfortable in real estate. Cheers!

@Kevin Carbon  The BP "No Money Down" book seems very interesting. I know me personally as newbie myself, anything related to financing is where I'm looking to focus on.

@Account Closed  

I just started reading the book this week myself, and I'm already learning something as a newbie too.  I went right to the seller financing section to prepare for a call today.  The book is easy to understand and apply.  Good luck!

@Mary Ann   Thanks Mary I appreciate it!

Hey everyone, 

Thanks for all the feedback. There is a lot of great advice to be had. I have decided to read them in the order I got them, I also found a copy of Wa real estate handbook that I'm going to read. Truth be told, I have purchased almost every book on the BP top 20. I have also just finished all the podcasts( now it's time for the 25hrs of BP summit2012:):)... Also join my local REIA and am volunteering to help set up for the meetings...Look out world!,!..here I come:)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.