How long /much do I save for expenses?

5 Replies

Good Evening,

I am looking for some opinions on when I should stop saving for the expense and vacancy related fees? 

What % or $ values do you look for? At some point, the funds saved should outweigh the risk involved and would probably be better suited for further investments.

I'm planning on saving for 2-3 month of vacancy, however, I see repairs, maintenance and CapEx being a little more volatile.

Thanks in advance for your input.

MT

I have 30+ units and I keep a capex account.  When I hit $20k I stopped then when I take out of the account I build it back up to $20k again.

I do not have a vacancy account, I just transfer the monthly profits into my personal account, whatever they are.  

Thanks for the reply Brie, 

How did you decide that $20k was your goal?

I like 6k in my accounts as single family homes. I chose 6k because that is usually the highest expenses for something going out. Water heater, roof, etc. 

Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

I like 6k in my accounts as single family homes. I chose 6k because that is usually the highest expenses for something going out. Water heater, roof, etc. 

Thanks Elizabeth, 

Do you maintain a vacancy account? Or, is the 6K for everything?

MT

I self manage and haven't had a vacancy. I will lower the price before a house sits empty. I also have a break lease clause/fee and my tenants give 60 days notice on yearly leases. So honestly to date that hasn't been a concern. So my account is all in one

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here