Company Naming Questions

6 Replies

My wife and I have a few investment properties but never formed an llc. We decided to ramp up and get some more and decided it was time to create a company. We wanted to go with the name RC Property Group after quite a but of looking. We were granted the name about a month ago and then were informed that there was a challenge to our name. Apparently a company with a similar name challenged our name and won since we were told we had to change it.

Unfortunately for us, we already have rcpropertygroup.com (the site isn't complete yet). My question is, couldn't we just name our llc: Ryan and Carolina Property Group LLC and go by RC Property Group?

What is the other company's name?

I personally wouldn't put my name in the name of the company. Part of the point of an LLC is to separate yourself from the business.

Your proposal to still use the name won't work. You would have to file a DBA for the different name and the other company would have issue with that as well.

What is the other company's name?

I personally wouldn't put my name in the name of the company. Part of the point of an LLC is to separate yourself from the business.

Your proposal to still use the name won't work. You would have to file a DBA for the different name and the other company would have issue with that as well.

Ugh. The other company is RC Properties. 

Why not RC Holdings or RC Investments?  I agree with @Ryan Parnow  

in not using your own name in the business name.

They're all taken. I'll just have to come up with something totally different. We tried all combinations of RC and CR.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.