Thinking of getting my RE license

11 Replies

My husband and I are just getting into REI and thinking we are going to have to start working with mostly 100k houses and below. Because of the smaller profit margins and the higher lenders fees we will have to pay starting out, it seems every bit counts. So I've been thinking of getting my RE license to help cut costs. I see the test failure rate here in Texas is surprisingly high. Im not too worried about passing myself, but I am curious about where it's best to get my education from? So Im looking for suggestions about where to get my education for a Texas license? I've also heard some people get sponsored for some of their education costs. Where do I find out about that? Also, are there any limitations about being your own agent for your own REI homes here in Texas? I haven't gotten much info on it, but from what I have heard, I think you're allowed, as long as you disclose this to your buyers? Any info or suggestions about becoming an RE agent and REI pros and cons are very appreciated. Thanks!

I think getting your RE license is something more investors should do.

It will pay for itself time & time again.

Thank you James. It does seem to have any positives. I just want to make sure I get my education from the right place because of the failure rates I see in Texas. 

@Jessica Martin  I am an investor and I also have a real estate license. I did my schooling online at www.realestateexpress.com  I passed both state and national first time and then actually got a Broker's license thereafter. I can recommend this site for education assuming they offer Texas (I'm in Missouri / Kansas). 

I would do it on my own and not look to have anyone sponsor me. This way I stay as independent as I want to be.

As long as you disclose you're a licensee you shouldn't have any issues with sellers. Some lender sellers have started the trend they won't pay a commission to a buyer who is a licensee.

I like the accessibility to the houses I have as an agent. I just call co-op and schedule a showing without having to find an agent to show me.

Good luck!

Thank you very much JJ for the recommendation and helpful info!

JJ - I just got done looking into the site you recommended. I looked up the pass rate and its one of the highest by far, as well as very affordable for me. I think this will be he site I go through. Thanks again!

As both a broker and investor, I've not found it to be disadvantageous to be licensed although many investors express a differing opinion. 

Regardless of the price range you're working in on the retail (agent side of the deal), it doesn't prevent you from investing in homes in any price range. The biggest issue I've had when dealing with traditional real estate agents (who are NOT investors) is they lack the ability to think creatively and outside the bounds of a traditional real estate transaction. Please don't let that happen to you!

I think it will be good to have. Not only to save money on my own deals, but to make money with other sales in between my own work. Networking just by being an REI should be a plus as well and Im sure additional knowledge I'll learn just by getting licenses, because Im new at this and have so much to learn...

I dont think creative financing will be an issue for me. I feel pretty confident about dealing with numbers and looking for a solution from all angles.

I used Kaplan and ended up passing both the National and State in the higher percentile. 
Sell one house and you have paid for your license 4 times. 
You can obtain it in less than a month; so it was definitely worth it for the small cost of entry. 

My opinion is if your brand-new is to go to a Brokeridge that has excellent training, like Keller Williams

Millionaire real estate investor, millionaire real estate agent, and the book shift are all books by Gary Keller of Keller Williams

I would interview with as many Koreans brokerages as possible to find the best fit for you, try to find agents that do well with investors there

My opinion is if your brand-new is to go to a Brokeridge that has excellent training, like Keller Williams

Millionaire real estate investor, millionaire real estate agent, and the book shift are all books by Gary Keller of Keller Williams

I would interview with as many Koreans brokerages as possible to find the best fit for you, try to find agents that do well with investors there

Omg typo Keller Williams not Koreans! Damn speech to text ! Lmao

Ha, Auto typos are the worst!

Thank you Brian for the reply. I actually just signed up online the day I posted this to start online RE courses. Someone above had mentioned that staying independent can be a positive thing, so I went with that. Training on the other hand may be a benefit I'm missing out on with that decision. I guess I will find out in a few months time if I made the right choice. Training would be great, but I also feel being able to stay independent may be a benefit to me as an investor? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here