Choosing a Realtor- what you wish you knew now!

3 Replies

My fiance and I are in the early stages of creating our plan for our strategy regarding REI. We are interested in purchasing multifamily buy and hold properties near us. I am curious if anybody has any tips or suggestions as to what to look for in a realtor- is there anything you know now about your realtor that would make you decide to work with them again or not? Any specific questions to ask in regards to selecting a realtor for REI? Any red flags to look for?

The most important aspect is actually the Mortgage Broker! Don't bother trying to financing through your retail banker, get a great Mortgage Broker who does multi-family lending every day. The most important aspect of multi-unit is that the lender will count the income of the units towards your total personal income allowing you to qualify for a larger purchase.

A great Realtor is just as important to find the property and run all the number for you to make sure you are getting a good deal that is cash flow positive. I would be happy to refer someone in your area if you would like. 

Feel free to reach out with any other questions or needs

Hey Emily,

Biased opinion as I'm a Realtor, but in my opinion you should work with a Realtor who is actually an investor themselves. If you find a good Realtor who is also an investor, they will likely have lots of good connections that they'll usually be willing to share. If I get my contractor more work, he's likely more responsive to me and perhaps dare I say I'd get a discount at some point?! If you team up with a Realtor investor, they're likely to know the in's and out's of investing. Unless they're a multi-millionaire, they can't buy all the properties. 

Mark Gallagher, Real Estate Agent in New Jersey (#1221341) and Pennsylvania (#RS314542)
215-490-4851

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.