Choosing a Realtor- what you wish you knew now!

3 Replies

My fiance and I are in the early stages of creating our plan for our strategy regarding REI. We are interested in purchasing multifamily buy and hold properties near us. I am curious if anybody has any tips or suggestions as to what to look for in a realtor- is there anything you know now about your realtor that would make you decide to work with them again or not? Any specific questions to ask in regards to selecting a realtor for REI? Any red flags to look for?

The most important aspect is actually the Mortgage Broker! Don't bother trying to financing through your retail banker, get a great Mortgage Broker who does multi-family lending every day. The most important aspect of multi-unit is that the lender will count the income of the units towards your total personal income allowing you to qualify for a larger purchase.

A great Realtor is just as important to find the property and run all the number for you to make sure you are getting a good deal that is cash flow positive. I would be happy to refer someone in your area if you would like. 

Feel free to reach out with any other questions or needs

Hey Emily,

Biased opinion as I'm a Realtor, but in my opinion you should work with a Realtor who is actually an investor themselves. If you find a good Realtor who is also an investor, they will likely have lots of good connections that they'll usually be willing to share. If I get my contractor more work, he's likely more responsive to me and perhaps dare I say I'd get a discount at some point?! If you team up with a Realtor investor, they're likely to know the in's and out's of investing. Unless they're a multi-millionaire, they can't buy all the properties. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.