Five people left me voicemails today from my yellow letter campaign...what now?!?! I'm a total rookie.

7 Replies

Congrats on the campaign and people calling! Ask them everything. Is it owned free and clear? What do they owe? What deferred maintenance needs to be done? What is it rented at? What are the expenses? Why are they selling? What is the condition? Ask for profit and loss statements if they have them. What is their asking price? Are the tenants on leases? What kind? Being a 4plex comps can be ran via MLS. Try to get that done before you go so you know what it's worth. You can ask most of this on the phone. You want them to have equity and be motivated. You find that combo and you found your 4plex. I would look into some other options other then FHA if you are looking for a low DP some banks offer only 5% down mortgages if you search you can see that the FHA vs Conventional has been beat to death!

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

As about their house and why they want to sell. Michael Quarles walked through the questions he asks during a phone call in podcast 77 if I remember correctly.

No you don't need to bring your realtor along unless you are just looking for some advice or a secondary opinion. When you walk through the property take down as many negative things as you can. Look for things that you can use later to negotiate/explain your offer.

Liabilities:Bad railings, Tree over hanging neighbors home, etc. 

Visually inspect: Roof, Under sinks, Look at the water heater and hvac for signs of age/wear, look at piping stacks, look for code violations, look at the electrical system, flip light switches, flush toilets, turn sinks on, look at the foundation. 

Take tons of pictures. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

The posters above have certainly given you all, if not the most important questions to ask. There is a whole list of questions you can ask on this site http://www.houseflippingonline.com/motivated-selle... (Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules posting it; please notify or remove if I am). The page is geared more to wholesaling, but if it helps drive the price down a little bit more, why not?

Good luck on reaching your goals!

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

Congrats on the campaign and people calling! Ask them everything. Is it owned free and clear? What do they owe? What deferred maintenance needs to be done? What is it rented at? What are the expenses? Why are they selling? What is the condition? Ask for profit and loss statements if they have them. What is their asking price? Are the tenants on leases? What kind? Being a 4plex comps can be ran via MLS. Try to get that done before you go so you know what it's worth. You can ask most of this on the phone. You want them to have equity and be motivated. You find that combo and you found your 4plex. I would look into some other options other then FHA if you are looking for a low DP some banks offer only 5% down mortgages if you search you can see that the FHA vs Conventional has been beat to death!

any info on the 5% down banks?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.