house flipping vs buy and hold

5 Replies

What is a better first investment: Flipping a house, or buying and holding something like a multifamily apartment? (I also don't have very much money) 

@Jonathan Fischer  I would do a buy and hold. Do you currently own or rent your primary residence? If you rent, you can live in one unit and rent out the other freeing up your cashflow to save and purchase more. Good luck!

I think the real question is are you a good flipper? Or buy and holder? Find your sweet spot and returns are good in each area. 

No I don't currently own my own house, I still live at home actually haha. But I heard a flip would be better to quickly generate cash, then you could keep flipping houses until you make a good sum of money, THEN start doing multifamily units. Perhaps I've got it wrong? 

Thank you for the responses! I've never done either, so this is all completely new for me. Although house flipping seemed like something I'd be particularly interested in.

@Jonathan Fischer  Both are good. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. For a first time homebuyer you have the opportunity to put 3% down on a duplex.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.