Does this sound like a good investment

2 Replies

I recently started working with my brother, he has majority of the cash but works as a contractor leaving me to do the leg work. I have the opportunity to close on a deal next week I have a gut feeling that it's a good deal.

2 houses in two (not so great areas in town)

House #1 (3 bedroom 1 bath)

Asking Price $34K

Current tenants that are good screened and pay $700/month

This house is an older home may need repairs but none immediately. 

House #2 (2 bedroom 1 bath) on a large lot 

Asking Price $37

Older home as well it's a smaller 2 bedroom that may need about 1K to finish and make really nice, rehab is about 80% 

I think this can rent for $550-$650 / month

I can have both houses for $65K

Because they are older homes it will be hard to finance them or sell them. Rental income is great but would be loosing the cold hard cash... I have 83K available to invest and was thinking of going to the court house to purchase a foreclosure home rehab and flip. I know it's not that easy as you see on TLC but that was that was the plan until this deal came around.

first welcome to BP, do you have construction rehab experience? if so do the flip, you say not great areas of town, most investors start in these areas and regret it and then move up into better areas. Take the payday of a flip and invest in nicer areas. (less headaches usually)

Jeremy thanks for your reply. I'm familiar on a high level. In college I studied Construction Management. I did not follow that career path though instead moved to IT. 

Thanks for your reply

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you