Advice for a college student in the Philippines

5 Replies

Hi! I'm a 21 year old college student in Metro Manila, Philippines who is very interested in the Real Estate Industry. I would like to start in wholesaling because I don't have capital, and so that I can gain experience before getting into rental properties. My problem is that I can't find a community of real estate investors here, and when I ask people I know in the Real Estate Industry, they have no idea of what wholesaling is. This leads me to my question: How can I start in wholesaling in a city that's unaware of wholesaling?

@Gio Mascardo  

welcome to the site.

Have you entertained becoming an agent? That is a great way to get your foot in the door.

@James Wise

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the immediate reply! :)

I have thought about becoming a real estate agent, but the agencies here are strict about hiring only college graduates, and I'm still finishing my degree on Entrepreneurial Management. My course requires me to start a business as a replacement for our thesis. That's why I'm trying to get into wholesaling, so that I don't need to get hired to start working. 

@James Wise

I would like to apologize for my earlier reply. I was stubborn, and I'm trying to fix this stubbornness. I was too focused on wholesaling that I closed my mind from other topics. For that, I'm sorry. 

I'm currently looking for a way to become a real estate agent. I found out that I need to find a broker who's willing to take me under his/her wing to start being an agent. 

Thank you for the advice Mr. Wise! 

@Gio Mascardo

Have you tried using Private Money? I'm from Philippines, Davao. I advice you study first your area, find the best locations, compare prices. 

@Nickson Rio

I'm currently looking into private money. I have an uncle who's looking for investment opportunities. I want to be responsible with his money if he invests it on a property I'll be showing him. 

Thank you for the advice! It's such a coincidence because I just picked up the book "The ABCs of Real Estate Investing" by Ken McElroy, and the same advice is written there. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.