Advice for a college student in the Philippines

5 Replies

Hi! I'm a 21 year old college student in Metro Manila, Philippines who is very interested in the Real Estate Industry. I would like to start in wholesaling because I don't have capital, and so that I can gain experience before getting into rental properties. My problem is that I can't find a community of real estate investors here, and when I ask people I know in the Real Estate Industry, they have no idea of what wholesaling is. This leads me to my question: How can I start in wholesaling in a city that's unaware of wholesaling?

@Gio Mascardo  

welcome to the site.

Have you entertained becoming an agent? That is a great way to get your foot in the door.

@James Wise

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the immediate reply! :)

I have thought about becoming a real estate agent, but the agencies here are strict about hiring only college graduates, and I'm still finishing my degree on Entrepreneurial Management. My course requires me to start a business as a replacement for our thesis. That's why I'm trying to get into wholesaling, so that I don't need to get hired to start working. 

@James Wise

I would like to apologize for my earlier reply. I was stubborn, and I'm trying to fix this stubbornness. I was too focused on wholesaling that I closed my mind from other topics. For that, I'm sorry. 

I'm currently looking for a way to become a real estate agent. I found out that I need to find a broker who's willing to take me under his/her wing to start being an agent. 

Thank you for the advice Mr. Wise! 

@Gio Mascardo

Have you tried using Private Money? I'm from Philippines, Davao. I advice you study first your area, find the best locations, compare prices. 

@Nickson Rio

I'm currently looking into private money. I have an uncle who's looking for investment opportunities. I want to be responsible with his money if he invests it on a property I'll be showing him. 

Thank you for the advice! It's such a coincidence because I just picked up the book "The ABCs of Real Estate Investing" by Ken McElroy, and the same advice is written there. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.