Probate

9 Replies

Hey how is it going everyone, I'm a new investor in the north Dallas area (Collin county) looking into probate investing. I have been gathering my leads from the local probate court office and is gathering a bunch of good info from the list now I'm ready to write letters but not sure what to really say without them getting mad. And if there isn't any real property where the decedent died can I still bring up the estate in the letter?

Can anyone help please?

Rreal property is where the money is.

Ok thanks much to find the leads but hard to find out if they owned real property

cross reference names , generally counties have records of who owns the property.  My county has them online and its really easy to find out if the estate matches the property owner name. 

Yea see that's what I been doing was cross reference and it has been working on a few people I have looked up but I guess I can continue that and go from there thanks!

Originally posted by @Eric Roberson :

Hey how is it going everyone, I'm a new investor in the north Dallas area (Collin county) looking into probate investing. I have been gathering my leads from the local probate court office and is gathering a bunch of good info from the list now I'm ready to write letters but not sure what to really say without them getting mad. And if there isn't any real property where the decedent died can I still bring up the estate in the letter?

Can anyone help please?

Hello Eric,

I am also a new investor in Allen TX. I have a great probate letter but haven't yet gone to the court to get leads. Would like to JV with you on some probate campaigns and wholesale the properties.

Questions:

Where exactly are you going to get the leads in the probate court?

What are you asking for?  And Finally does the information include?

@Eric Roberson probate is provided online...I think that's a great source of leads  but you will have to be pateince!!!! 

Originally posted by @Jimmy Cantave :

@Eric Roberson probate is provided online...I think that's a great source of leads  but you will have to be pateince!!!! 

There are some 3,043 counties +/-, and each has its own court, it's own state laws and, alas, local court rules. This is further complicated by a widely different levels of access to archives, including probate cases, and restrictions to sensative information. 

For example, our Los Angeles county has a separate probate court within the Superior court system, but online data access will only give you a case summary, calendar notes, and no contact info sufficient to call or write a PR, attorney or heir. For that, you must either go to the downtown courthouse or pay a commercial data researcher service.

It just isn't accurate to base what your local experiences are and project those upon others in different states, let alone the next county over.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.