New to BP and Real Estate Investing in Philadelphia area

5 Replies

Hello,

I'm a newer member to BP from the Philadelphia area specifically Montgomery County looking to get into flipping houses in Montgomery county. My dad had the old Carlton Sheets books, video tapes and cassettes. I went through those books and read Flip this house and Millionaire real estate investors (great books). I've been working in the corporate world for about 10 years and looking to get into real estate investing part time. I've been searching deals on trulia, received MLS listings from our realtor that helped us find our home, and searching foreclosure properties at the county courthouse. I'm unsure if I should use cash I have saved up to put money down and finance the rest of the property and rehab or take out a HEL for down payment and rehab? Any advice on starting out with financing or finding potential properties would be helpful. I have listened to a few of the podcast and they have been amazing. Also my other question is do I need all cash for a foreclosure or can I finance some of it? I guess it depends on the county. Thanks and happy to be here.

Welcome @Steve Francis  

I work in good old Conshy, if you're ever around and want to get coffee or lunch, let me know. I'm also currently working on a flip in Philadelphia, where I live, so you're welcome to  come see that hot mess as well! 

Conshy is hot so any decent deals go quickly and I doubt you're finding anything flippable on the MLS anyway. Plymouth Meeting and a few other areas seemed to have a bit more inventory from what I recall but again, slim pickings on the MLS. Not sure I'd advise going to auctions for your first property, lots of unknowns. You could always market for your own properties. Also, tell everybody what you do and ask if they know of anyone that may be interested in selling.

I'd lean towards a mortgage with 20% down and cash for the rehab if you can swing it with a reserve for holding costs and overages. However that looks, maybe an equity LOC instead of a straight loan if you don't need the whole amount.

Hey Troy,

Thanks for getting back to me and the suggestions. I may take you up on your offer. I'll let you know. Yeah I think Conshy is probably tapped out so I'm looking at other surrounding areas. I'm thinking put money down and possibly use an equity LOC for the rehab. As far as foreclosures and auctions I may just go check one out at the courthouse. Any advice or recommendations on contractors? Is Angie's list a good source? I may do some work myself but most of it I'll bring in help. Thanks again!

@Steve Francis  I'm actually looking at montco for some properties as well (particularly norristown becuase it's cheap, and they cashflow, definitely not for appreciation!).

It definitely depends on your risk tolerance, but if I were you, I would use HELOC first for the 20% down, and get a mortgage if you could, and keep the cash as a reserve, but that's just me.

I have been in touch with a few contractors, but haven't worked with them enough to put my name behind them (not that my name means anything yet!) but hopefully in the next couple weeks/months I'll feel comfortable referring one or two!

@John Matthews   Thanks for the advice on financing. I was thinking something similiar. Yeah I guess with contractors it will be trial and error. Thanks. 

@Jerry Padilla   Thanks Jerry.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.