I have land, I think.

5 Replies

I will like to be a wholesale real estate investor. Just created an account here and looking forward to learning all I can!

I have land that I inherited from my father; at least that is what I was told. My aunt calls me from Mississippi every year to remind me to send her a check for the taxes. Usually it is only $8-$12. She tells me I need to come there and get it surveyed and get the deed.

What are the steps I need to do to acquire this property? I am from St. Louis, MO and plan to make the trip to Mississippi soon.

Welcome to BP.

Sounds like you need to gather some more information about this property. 

Was in left in a trust for you?

Where in Mississippi, I have family that lives there, and may be able to help with the leg work.

Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out the Aunt was really...

Hi all. No trust or will, all I have right now is word of mouth. My family has this big plot of land in Vossburg, MS that have been passed down from great great relatives and I have been hearing about it all my life. My father and his siblings have a piece that they've split up amongst themselves. Since my father passed, my aunt has been encouraging me to come down there and do something with it or sell his portion. She says she has the paperwork I need but she is up in age and wants me to come soon. I don't even know the first step. Attorney? Surveyor?

@Jennifer J.  

You should definitely go see the property in person and visit the municipal building to find out what it is zoned for and what you can do with it.

Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here