New guy on the block! Just introducing myself

11 Replies

Hi BP Community,

My name is Devin, just a guy from the greater Boston area (Go Pats!) with a passion for investments. I currently attend business school (Bentley University) and for about two years now I have been ferociously trying to find the best route toward passive income and financial freedom (which I'm sure you all are too). 

I have been listening to the BP podcast on my drives to school and I'm currently in the middle of a real estate investing book called "The Real Estate Investor's Handbook" by Steven D. Fisher and I'm learning so much about all the real estate jargon. I have also read Rich Dad Poor Dad which I know is a common suggestion for books to read. I am open to any and all advice there is to offer. Most importantly, I'm fired up to start this journey!

Welcome to the site man!

Welcome!! 

As a newbie, I find the majority of my answers to my questions through the search tool up above. Reading through the forums, blogs and listening to the podcast, has most definitely beat any book thus far. (Yet, I continue to find myself reading books!)

There is a post I stumbled across the the other night that list about a dozen books that's recommended. Give it a search!

Much success, @Devin Rodrigues  ! 

@Caressa T.  Thank you. Your insight is much appreciated. It must be something about the physicality of picking up a book and reading it that makes it that much better. Nice to know I'm not the only one trying to get the hang of things.

@Devin Rodrigues  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need. There are meetings in Rockland, Taunton, Plymouth and Cape Cod.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Account Closed Great tips! Very much appreciated. 

Welcome this is the best place to get started. Just keep posting questions and don't be afraid to talk to everyone so everyone here is great and always willing to help. Read blogs post and listen carefully to everything.

Welcome Devin!

This is the right place for a very extensive and free education on REI.

Read, listen, question, learn!

•blogs

•Podcasts

Hi Devin, welcome to BP.

This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.

This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA on here so make sure to find them (Set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.

Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor events we have. As Paul mentioned there are several on the Southern parts with probably the Eastern Mass REIA in Taunton and Rockland being one you should really get to. If you want to come up North a little I'd highly recommend checking out the Black Diamond meeting in Waltham. Lots more options North of the city as well.

@Shaun Reilly  The Black Diamond meeting is very convenient since I go to school up in Waltham. Will definitely look more into this. Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here