Do I need a fax machine?

5 Replies

This is going to sound stupid, but do I need a fax machine and number to do out of state investing, or is scanning and email sufficient to do business with most people?

Ring Central is the one we use & I can send/rec via my cell phone.

There are some electronic fax services available for pretty reasonable prices. I use personally use onlinefax but there are others like eFax, hellofax, etc. It also would be good to sign up for docusign or HelloSign so you can send out your contracts for electronic signature. Hope this helps!

scanning/email works/is preferred  for most people. 

I had a water company once that needed proof of title transfer. (previous owner owed money) 

They could only accept fax/mail.

I found a free faxing app for my smartphone.

There are lots of faxing services online: some are free for occasional use. 

My fax machine broke a year ago.  I thought I needed to get another one.  As it turns out scanning and email has been sufficient for all of my needs.  I'm in the process of converting to paperless office.  I'm tired of buying these things anyway.  

@Jeff L.  - there is no need for a physical fax machine these days.  There are a variety of apps and/or services that you can use to eliminate that machine.  A multi-purpose printer/scanner will handle the bulk of the work on your side.  Services like eFax or Grasshopper (there are many others out there) will allow you to send receive faxes without the need for the physical machine.

The only piece of 80's technology I wish I still had was my Pontiac Fiero.  Let the hating being!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here