IRA? Retirement Funds? ETFS? Mutual Funds? What do I do with my money?

2 Replies

Sorry, recent college grad / "Just became an adult" question here! 

I was reading up on a lot of investing books. All these books are talking about how I should be maxing out my Roth IRA and putting in as much money into my retirement accounts as possible due to the whole compounding interest thing. And while I do try to put in money into my company IRA account (they match 3%), should I really be putting the rest of the money into my retirement account? Since once I put it in, isn't really hard to take out? Plus it detracts the money I'm saving up for my down payment. I'd really like to be financially free by the time I retire and not need to rely on my retirement account..

As of now, I put about 20% of my paycheck towards retirement accounts and 20% towards just a regular high-savings account. My guts are saying to just match my companies match in my retirement account and save the rest (excluding living costs) in a high % savings account and possibly in a brokerage account under ETFs. 

My question is, how much do I put towards retirement, if any? Where do people put their money while they're saving up for downpayents? Below their mattress? in CDs? ETFs? Regular savings account? 

Hi @Natasha Sadikin the most you should be contributing to your IRA is 15% and that is taking into account your employers contribution.

Do you have any personal debt(car loan, student loan, credit cards)? If so your priority should be paying those off.  Once those are paid off, I would save for a down payment on a home. Then start putting money into a ROTH IRA. 

However since you are asking what to invest your money in on a real estate investment forum I imagine you will get many who say you need to eventually purchase investment properties, whether its through "house hacking" or building a buy and hold portfolio.

But at the end of the day it's whatever you are the most comfortable with.

Have a great day!

(614) 638-8635

Checkout podcast 17 with Jeff Brown. Has a lot of good in site toward retirement investing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.