Google voice

3 Replies

Hey guys I'm just getting started and I went to set up Google voice and noticed a lot of news stories that said Google voice would be removed in the coming months.  Anyone have any information about this? I'm trying to decide if It's even worth it to set up Google voice. 

Hey @Chris Graham . I'm not sure if you've picked something else or not, but Google Voice isn't going anywhere. Way too many people love and use this, and Google even sort of upgraded that service into a fully fledged MVNO cell service called Project Fi, using Sprint and T-Mobile's networks.

I've been using GV for some years now and low it, although recently they've integrated it into Google Hangouts. I love that as it's a one-stop shop for my messaging/calling needs. It's a great service, and probably the best free option out there to get an actual phone number you can forward to any phone, or multiple phones at once, including calls through Gmail and the Hangouts extensions/applications.

I also use Google Voice as a secondary number when I'm renting a property. It helps me to be able to answer my primary line and have confidence that it's someone who I want to have my number and not a potential tenant calling to ask about renting my house. 

Originally posted by @Elizabeth S. :

I also use Google Voice as a secondary number when I'm renting a property. It helps me to be able to answer my primary line and have confidence that it's someone who I want to have my number and not a potential tenant calling to ask about renting my house. 

I want to get a business number and was thinking of using Google Voice. When you receive GV calls on your cell phone, do you still also get calls from your regular phone number. For instance, if I had an iPhone through AT&T and my number ended in 1234 and I then got a GV number that ended in 6789, would I receive calls for both numbers on the same phone? If so, is it possible to tell (via caller ID or some other method) which number is ringing? I want a GV number for business to keep business and personal calls separate. But I don't want to answer my business number with an unprofessional "Hello".

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here