Getting Started

2 Replies

My Name is Nafisa. I am 19 years old and a beginner Real Estate Investor. I have pretty much learned the basics through seminars, webinars, books, and Rich Dad's 3-day Real Estate training.  I live in Yonkers NY and would like to network with like-minded people.  I am willing to work with someone with their business in exchange for knowledge. If anyone has tips on getting started in my location, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

@Nafisa Abdul-Mubdi  

Welcome. 

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses... be brutally honest with yourself.

Get on every wholesalers list you can.

Get plugged in to your local real estate investment club. @Paul Timmins is right in the greater NYC area join more than one.

Read Bigger Pockets till your eyes bleed, Try to figure out what ONE or TWO methods of investment will work best based on your strengths. DONT try to do everything.

Set up some interviews with some "turn key" providers of real estate.

Call every "we buy houses" bandit sign you see and ask "what are you doing? what properties are you buying? what parts of town are you buying in? what do you think of the local market?"

Walk 100 houses in your area ASAP... not 50 not 95... walk 100 houses.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you