Home Inspection Question

2 Replies

Hi all,

I have my eye on a vacant property that was built in 1981. Drive by and code violations show that it needs considerable exterior work, including a new roof. Possible Title V and ground water contamination issues, may need a new foundation. Is it the seller's or the buyer's responsibility to handle these inspections? Can I put it in the offer that the seller has to have a home inspection done? I have my suspicions that this may be a complete gut, but it's impossible to tell without getting inside. What should I do next?

Its always the buyer's responsibility to do the due diligence.  You can write it into the offer, but usually a seller won't be willing to pay $400 for an inspection when you can just walk away with your earnest money after reading it.  

If you call up the realtor, they'll walk you through the inside - and usually you can get a contractor to come with you and give you an estimate to repair if you know it's going to be a complete rehab.  Just be upfront about what you want to do when you contact everyone.  

If you need financing usually the bank will demand the seller fix contamination issues / roofing issues, and then the seller will refuse, so financing will usually fall through in this scenario.  

Michell,

Thanks for the reply. I am not going through a Realtor, as it is a drive by property. I am also wholesaling the property to a cash buyer. Can I write in the inspections to the cash buyer, or should I *gulp* estimate as best I can? After all, if the property turns out not to need the work, the rehabbed makes more money.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here