Any Birmingham Investors out there that can help me and NOT try to sell me a house?

13 Replies

I appreciate using Bigger Pockets to network with realtors, lenders, and companies ect.  But I'm finding it hard to connect with true investors that can give me an unbiased opinion on the markets and areas in general.  I have searched all the forums and can not find anything on anyone discussing the different areas of Birmingham.  When I do get a small piece of info on an area it is from a company with homes for sale in that area.  So all this said is anyone interested in sharing their opinion on the different areas of Birmingham for both C and B class properties with out intentions of selling me anything or referring me to anyone?  

Thanks y'all

@Account Closed  

I have been HMLending in B ham since 2003... and have done well over 200 transactions there so I have some working knowledge of the areas .. would be happy to help you without trying to sell you something ( I have nothing to sell)

Joel, happy to help as well. Just PM me and we can connect over the phone.

@Account Closed  

JOey Chad is in situ so he would be a good one to talk with

will do.  Thanks guys!  Much appreciated. 

@Account Closed  

I grew up in Cupertino  Chad will be your go to person on this mission.  but if you need a second opinion please don't hesitate to ask.

Joel, you might be lucky if Jay did sell you something. He is not on bp for the money. Seriously, he is looking to give back. If he consulted for money, my guess his rate would be in the $1000 per hour range. The fact that he has Birmingham experience means you just won the info lottery. Take it to the bank.

Joey,

I would be happy to help as well. I have bought/sold a lot (over a hundred) of houses in Birmingham, I currently have a rental portfolio and I work for the best property manager in Birmingham.

I don't have anything to sell (my houses are not for sale and I don't wholesale anymore) and our group routinely takes calls from investors looking for more insight into Birmingham. 

Happy to help if you think I can...feel free to pm me with any questions.

@Matt R.  

your making me blush... I have talked with Chad in the past and I think he would be a good person for him to talk to.. As Chad is an investor like Joey, and in my discussions with Chad he has a very good handle on the market place there.

One of my very best Vendors in the whole US is there in B ham... so he has created an investment environment for me that has been very successful and fruitful.

I did write Joey and gave him a little macro look at the whole Deep South so he could get a little comparision as it realted to B ham and the general area.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Matt Rosas 

your making me blush... I have talked with Chad in the past and I think he would be a good person for him to talk to.. As Chad is an investor like Joey, and in my discussions with Chad he has a very good handle on the market place there.

One of my very best Vendors in the whole US is there in B ham... so he has created an investment environment for me that has been very successful and fruitful.

I did write Joey and gave him a little macro look at the whole Deep South so he could get a little comparision as it realted to B ham and the general area.

For sure, I don't mean to exclude Chad. If Jay says talk to Chad then that is what you do:)

@Jay Hinrichs  

Thanks for the complement. I've done my best to learn the ins and outs of Birmingham. It's a unique market and can literally be defined street by street which makes it hard for an out of towner. You can eliminate some of the variability by going into the B to B- neighborhoods but then you start running up against some stiff competition from local turnkey guys and hedge fund types. I looked at a house yesterday and there were 4 other parties there at the same time. The inventory is just light right now. Of course I am trying to find fixer uppers for my portfolio. If you are looking for turnkey there are people like Jays guys who do a nice job, but there are also some I would avoid. There aren't the behemoths like MemphisInvest here because the market is not large enough. The most important thing to know is that this is a cash flow town, don't expect appreciation. When you are dealing with cash flow you have to manage the properties lean and mean because you don't have a big appreciation pay day down the road. 

Jays is like E. F. Hutton on this stuff. 

@Chad Lopes  

we have seen a little upward movement in prices in B ham from the hedge fund competition.. Nothing to get rich on but there is some upward movement. Many of the B class B ham homes have some pretty nice bones to start with compared to some other markets.. .And very large lots with some nice topography ... And I do admit with my vendors they do have inside track on much of the inventory.. I am funding about 5 to 8 a month for them currently.. But one will have a hard time competing against them on the open market for the wholesale deals.. its the same in any of the cash flow markets really..

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here