2%-1% rule/ $100K-$800K Scale

3 Replies

Hi all. I live in a very expensive area where I look to invest in a multifamily. I have been crunching numbers now for several days on hypothetical properties based on prices in my neighborhood and came to interesting conclusions regarding the 2% rule which I would love to share and see what BP pros think. As I see it the 2% rule is a necessity for low-priced properties, and very unlikely to be found for high-priced properties. When BP pros discuss the 2% rule, really they discuss the 1%-2% rule. If you can only get 1% of the property price in rent per month on a low-priced type of property you are probably running into trouble. But when you look for a high-priced property of a similar type where getting 2% of the purchase price in rent per month is very unlikely the 1% may still look quite good. The reason for it is that expenses don't grow is a linear ratio to the cost of the property. Rather they grow significantly more slowly. For that reason the more expensive the property is the higher the NOI is where the 1% is a constant, meaning that the rent is always 1% of the purchase price per month. So if the monthly rent is always 1% of the property price then the relationship between the property cost to the monthly rent is linear. But if the property expenses grow at a much slower rate relative to the increase of the property price then the relationship between the two is a declining curve. That means that the more expensive the property is the higher the NOI is.

Sounds good.. but some data and/or graphs would have been nice as a visual.

@Boaz Golani  That's quite a good summary as far as my (non-pro) understanding goes. Also, it would be nice if you could share the specific numbers on some of those 1%/m return higher-priced property 'deals' that seem to be tempting you. Cheers...

Would love to hear the numbers, especially considering I am in your area

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here