Skip to content
Starting Out
Account Closed
Votes |
College Student very interested in starting now! Please help.

Account Closed
Posted Mar 11 2015, 11:38

Currently freshman at University of Florida, majoring in finance, minor in real estate. 3.91 GPA so far. (#7 real estate program according to usnews) Very interested in acquiring rental properties that maintains a passive income that can support a modest lifestyle. Have a few questions

-Should i continue to major in finance if my goal is to own enough properties that my passive income supports me? Other major options are management, general business, marketing, econ. 

-What jobs should i look for that will provide a decent income that strongly relates to my goal of acquiring rental properties? Commcerial brokerage? Residental real estate agent? Financial investor/analyst/banker?

-What can i do right now in school to set me up for when i graduate? Internships? Jobs? If so, which internships/jobs can i get now/over summer that will help me with my goal of owning multiple rental properties?

-I want to "retire" asap, as in I want to live rather than work. How long realistically would it take me to get to this point where im only collecting rent? I would live a very frugal lifestyle until atleast 30 (no plans of starting a family/getting married before 30). Probably pick up a job working as ski patrol/bartend/related job (skiing is my passion) even once I can live on my rent. Id basically be living on a slightly higher college-student level budget for a while (no desire for a "big house". Would be happy with a small cabin by the beach/mountains) 

-My dad is very supportive of my decision and wants to get involved in real estate himself, he has worked and saved up a large amount of disposable cash he is willing to invest, so I have him as a down-payment/cash helper.  He is willing to support investments if cash is needed/help me get off the ground.

-FSU offers a major in business administration - real estate, versus UF's minor in real estate (most major in finance with that minor). Is it worth transferring to have that major even though FSU is considerably less prestigious? 

Any other advice you would give to a college student, go ahead!

Thanks.

Loading replies...