Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Mason
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Franklin, TN
Votes |
Just starting out...turning primary residence into rental?

Jon Mason
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Franklin, TN
Posted Mar 24 2015, 05:09

First off, I'm a newbie at this, and this is my first post.  I've enjoyed reading a lot on this site, and I'm learning a ton.  My wife and I own a single family home in a suburb of Nashville, TN.  We've been toying around with renting it out and moving into an apartment to save money for a downpayment on a new home for us to live in.  I have some questions about whether or not this is a good idea.

The house is 3br/2.5ba and 1850 sq ft. Our PITI on this house is $1400 and I'm hoping to get PMI removed, which will knock it down to $1200.

I've found about 10 comparable rental properties in the area, and they are listed (not necessarily rented) for an average of $2300.  I think I could reasonably rent this property for anywhere from $1900 to $2100.  (Zillow says $1900, but I'm not sure how accurate Zillow's rent estimate is).

To me it seems like a no-brainer to rent it out. Even on the conservative end of the rent spectrum with PMI still intact, we could net $500 / month, not counting any expenses or vacancies.

Here are my questions:

1) I'm assuming an 1800 sq. ft. house would take a little longer to find tenants for than a smaller house or apartment.  I know it probably varies a lot, but how long should I expect it to take to find renters?  Are we talking days, weeks, or months?  This might be impossible to answer, and if so, I apologize.

2) We have probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $40K of equity in the house.  Would it be a bad decision to pull out $20K of it to use as part of a down payment for another house for us, or are we better off just getting an apartment and saving up?  My wife is somewhat nervous about pulling equity out, and the last thing I want to do is sell her on something and then it turn out to be a bad idea.  Plus her dad is a former CPA and CFO, and is really conservative in his investments, and she respects him a lot, so it's important that I get this right.

3) What other key considerations am I not thinking about, or am I way off base in my rent analysis?

Thank you all for reading my long post, and for any help you can provide!

Loading replies...