real estate agent

1 Reply

Hello everyone, I am relatively new investor, It has been difficult to find a good agent, I have a pre-approval letter, Should i just find an agent in a traditional way? Do i have to let them know that i am an investor? What is the best way to find a good agent? Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bola, 

You should let them know you're an investor so they'll better able to help you.  Some agents just want to work with home owners, and some will focus on investors, so they'll have different "skills" and look at the market in different ways.  

Contact a handful (don't be afraid to email dozens) of agents and let them know you're looking for a partner. Let them know your goals (i.e. - 5 properties in the next 2 years, ~200k price point, in neighborhood x,y,z, with rents from $1,000 - $1,500) - and see what questions they ask you. Have them send you properties. Did they filter the properties for you or just send everything in the MLS?

A good agent should quickly send you one or two properties that they think will work for you and should follow up at least every few days to give you a quick update on new properties.

And don't be afraid to tell them that they're not who you're looking for - cut them loose as soon as you know.  

Depending on your market, if you look at recently solds & pending for multifamilies, you may see the same agent representing many of them.  I'd start by emailing those agents first.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.