How should I market myself via business cards when starting out

5 Replies

I have heard that networking and handing out business cards is key for a real estate investor. I can't help but wonder, what exactly do you show on your business card? as a newbie, there's a good chance that you have never done any type of real estate investing. So in all honesty, I would not call myself an investor on my card. It would also seem a little silly to call myself a Investor Trainee or Apprentice. I would like to give an honest and professional image from the moment I hand a business card. If anyone can help out on this, I am open to suggestions.

@Orlando Paz

Your contact info is most important. Give 2 ways to connect.

You can put a tag line Seeking real estate in ... 

Remember your card is a living document it will change and revise.

Print a quantity to get going then improve.

Paul

@Orlando Paz congratulations on getting started!

Account Closed gives great advice, don't let perfection get in the way of progress.

I would just put on there what you want to be doing.  My business card says "We Buy Homes" and a few bullet points about what we do:  "Any condition, cash, etc..."

I don't claim to be anything other than someone interested in purchasing distressed properties.

I'm an active investor & agent in the area, so please reach out if I can ever be of assistance to you.

I wish you great success!

@Paul, Your advice makes sense. My enthusiasm has made me overlook the very simple approach you outline. Although I am still working on finding a good niche, I could probably use a tag line, similar to the one you suggest. Thank you!

@Andrew, Thank you!... I'm still in the beginning stages, but I am fired up and excited! being a newbie at this whole thing, I am enthusiastic and somewhat of a perfectionist. I need to maintain the excitement, and loosen up a bit though. Once I determine my niche, I could add an outline describing what I do on the business card. Similar to the way you emphasize what you do. I appreciate your help, and will certainly keep you in mind. Thank you!

whatever you do, don't put "CEO" or "Owner" on the front. That screams "start up" and everyone will instantly be skeptical lol. 

As a real estate agent, I have "Disney Area Real Estate Jedi" on my card... it leads to convos about Star Wars, which obviously helps lighten the mood, because most of my clients know what Star Wars is.. and then selling a house comes a bit easier. Don't take yourself too seriously, especially if you're self-employed. People appreciate that. 

@Orlando Paz

I would say you are looking to much into being completely "honest" in this situation... The term "fake it till you make it" is a term for a reason. No I do not believe you are lying if your business card says Real Estate Investor when you are actively trying to be a REI. When you start at a new company say in sales they will not exclude Sales Agent from your business cards just because you haven't landed your first sale yet.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here