A couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to dive back into the RE game and proclaimed my determination to get my 1st deal done. I boldly set a target for a successful rehab and flip by 8/31/2015.
What did I do next? Well, thx for asking.
1. Web searched for and spoke with hardmoney lenders in my area. (a few I found right here on BP) I also started to put a list together of potential private lenders. This is how I plan to finance this deal.
2. I started scouring online resources for potential deals.
I live in NYC and own a business in Westchester County. I know NYC and the surrounding suburbs tend to have higher price points than a lot of other places. But I don't care. I want to do a deal here. Even if it's the only one I ever do in life. I want to do ONE deal here!Why not the 1st one.
I searched for single family homes for under $300K. Initially found 20 properties I wanted to look at. I chose $300k as my benchmark because I know the type of property I'm looking for, in this area, under that mark, is going to be questionable and potentially distressed.
3. I went to check out these properties and the areas they were in. In the midst of driving around from property to property, I came across a number of other potential deals. About 7 or so. Now mind you, there was no plan of action. It's not as if I was driving up and down every street purposely looking. I was just following gps directions to the next property on my list and would catch a boarded up window out the corner of my eye. I also had a good buddy with me and he spotted a few. We would jump out, go take down the address, write down agent information if there was any, and took pictures for review later. It's that easy ppl
4. Spoke with a couple of agents to discuss the outlook for my area. One was especially generous with his time and extremely knowledgeable.
5. Found 4 potential contractors. 1 was at a Merchants Association mtg. I use to walk past the office of another. Now I had a reason to just walk in and talk to someone and did just that. 2 I just saw working on other projects and asked for the head honcho.
6. I've taken part in a few networking events which proved to be fruitful. One in particular was a program centered around the issue of Gentrification. I went because I knew part of the discussion would have to be related to real estate. Sure enough one of the panelist was the head of a NYC area real estate group, The Council of Urban Real Estate or CURE. He invited me to mixer they were hosting where I met a bunch of Real Estate Professionals and Investors. It was amazing!
7. I analyzed potential deals using the BP calculator. Great tool. I have one suggestion for @Joshua Dorkin , we should be able to factor in multiple lenders on a deal. Maybe that's there and I missed it. IDK.
8. I downloaded Jay Scott's books as a refresher. He includes some solid tools for use as well. Can't front, good stuff!
9. I challenged a friend & mentor to a flip competition. Now this guy is a seasoned investor, he has focused on buy & hold for most of his career. He decided to do a flip for the excitement of it. It would be his first. I told him I was gonna kick his ***. Lololol. So here we go. The loser has to buy the other a fancy dinner.
Hey BP community, thx for being a forum for my ramblings.
Setting goals is the best way to make yourself start! Welcome to the forums, JRD. NYC is a high-priced market, but if your main RE goal is to make a deal there, it's also the best place to start.
We're here in St. Louis; let me know if you're ever looking to make a deal in another area.
This is great. Love the actionable steps you're taking to make your goal happen. Very inspriing! Good luck to you.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing