Tools & supplies to have on hand as a brand new landlord

3 Replies

Hi BP,

What are some 'must have' tools/supplies to have on hand as a brand new landlord and someone who doesn’t have many tools. What did you wish you had on your first service call to your property and had to run to the store for. (I have a few basic tools such as: screw driver-Philips/flat, hammer, power drill, adjustable wrench, flash light, pliers, tape measure) I assume most would have air filters on hand? Thoughts?

First thing that comes to my mind is wrenches to turn off water and gas in case of an emergency, then depending on how much work or maintenance your going to do, myself I do everything so I also have a truck with lumber racks and fully loaded toolbox with saws, levels, drills etc.

Usefull stuff like snakes to clear drains. Ladders to get up on roofs, basic electrical like a voltmeter, power testers etc may also come in handy.

@Chad Hurin

I would add a lockbox with Keys at each property location. You can leave keys in so that if you or service contractor needs to get in you can get in without running home to grab keys or get in while tenant isn't home. Of course get permission before going in... 

Batteries for those pesky smoke alarms is a must

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you