Can I get started now before it's too late?

2 Replies

Hey everyone, I've just been thinking about my situation. Almost 20 years old, in the middle of college, and I really want to use Real Estate as my tool to financial independence.

Now I'm not asking for intro to Real Estate material or anything. I already pretty much know what I want to do: Buy & Hold, In-state for first few properties, house hack my first place, etc. I'm more curious about what I should do now to jump in. I just don't want to be that guy that had everything planned out for after college, and then come to find out that the house market has flipped on itself, loans are hard to obtain, and have higher rates,etc. 

So is there anything that I can do that will allow me to take advantage of this great time before it runs out? Or am I just crazy and I'll be fine in 3-4 years?

Thanks.

What does waiting do for you? If you know that the market is favorable right now, why would you wait if you're sure you have your plan? No matter if you start now or in 3-4 years the market will change -- which way we can't really say. It might be better; it might be worse.

If you're waiting because of financials my advice would be to get your start working for a property management company. Keep studying and reading about the industry while you do, but by cutting your teeth there you'll learn real-world skills and knowledge for many different forms of real estate investing.

Peter MacKercher, Real Estate Agent in MO (#2010004223)
(314) 210-4414
Originally posted by @Peter MacKercher :

What does waiting do for you? If you know that the market is favorable right now, why would you wait if you're sure you have your plan? No matter if you start now or in 3-4 years the market will change -- which way we can't really say. It might be better; it might be worse.

If you're waiting because of financials my advice would be to get your start working for a property management company. Keep studying and reading about the industry while you do, but by cutting your teeth there you'll learn real-world skills and knowledge for many different forms of real estate investing.

That's essentially what I'm thinking. And yes the main reason I'm waiting is because of finances. 

It would be nice to work for a property management company, hopefully I can also in some way involve what I'm studying in college, however even if I do that I wouldn't be really getting started in Investing until a few years down the road.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.