NYC Marketplace: Where to invest?

3 Replies

I'm looking to buy my first property in NYC but I'm not sure where I should pull the trigger. What area will see the most growth? Can something like that be predicted? 

I think the most affordable thing to do would be to find a two bedroom apartment in the city our outer boroughs and live in one room, rent the other. 

I think buying a multi-family may be too expensive at this time in the market, and for my budget. 

I'm always looking at different properties in areas I think will see growth but how can I know for sure? Any advice? 

Neighborhoods I've looked into: Hudson Heights, Riverdale, Jamaica, Queens (anywhere in Queens really... but then I ask myself, where exactly?) 

Thank you! 

@Noelle Bohlen ...welcome!!!

I am quite familiar with the  Queens market, especially Jamaica. There are some really nice areas and undiscovered gems in Jamaica. The taxes are pretty low and i think now is a good time to purchase something.

Good luck!!

Hey, if you're looking in queens I'd suggest Ridgewood it's been going up like crazy and depending on your budget you can buy a one family and have a few roommates to help with the mortgage.  Good luck!

@Noelle Bohlen I agree with Charmaine and Janusz...Queens is great, fairly decent prices prices to start, nice neighborhoods, people are moving from Brooklyn and Manhattan to Queens. Just try get a property that's close to a major train unless you drive. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.